Sunday, June 28, 2009

Our Medically Eventful Day

Today started like any other Sunday....church, lunch, play at Pop's house. I was inside the house when I looked up to see Todd running towards the house, with Alex in his arms, wiping his face. Right away, I knew, this couldn't be good.

Apparently a game of "you can't get me" turned into, "watch how hard I can run into the camper without looking". Yep, that's right. Alex ran smack, right into the camper, so hard it knocked him off his feet. He fell backwards and hit his head on the concrete.

Looking like a scene from Carrie, the two enter Pop's house. Now, having some medical knowledge helped me remain calm, since I knew that head wounds, even the smallest ones bleed like a bugger. I had a look and determined that it was going to be a trip to urgent care for the big man.

For the next hour there was a lot of crying....all the way to the hospital, during the examination, while having his blood pressure and temperature taken. Once they numbed the "gash" with some fancy, long-named medication all was well. He even managed to carry on a conversation with the doctor.

The doc put in two stitches, shaky hands and all. Alex was a really big boy and just sat there while she did so. He thanked the doctor and told everyone goodbye.

After every traumatic event follows the relieve my guilt token Walmart trip. The event has to be pretty traumatic to allow for an "anything you want" toy. This was such an event. He chose a Disney Cars Mac truck with three race cars, a hot wheels car and a pack of motorcycle stickers.



Once back at Pop's, all was forgotten. Alex was soon jumping and running around like usual. Kids!!! He is settled into bed now, with a little tylenol, just incase. He has only come out of his room once to say it hurts (which really mean, I don't want to go to bed because he hasn't complained all day).

I think Alex's incident may have been a test to see how prepared I was for what was about to happen at dinner. While dining at the local Steak 'N' Shake, a woman runs in and yells "does anyone know CPR? There is a woman out here who is not breathing". I was like, you gotta be kidding me. I look around and realize, it's me...the one and only, who knows CPR. Out I venture.... Now, thankfully the woman was breathing and had a good strong, regular pulse...but she would OUT COLD!!! Apparently she had tripped, fell flat on her face and was not responding. I stayed until the cops and paramedics arrived. The woman gained consciousness, called for her family but never opened her eyes. Her teeth were all smashed in and her lips were cut. Quickly, they wisked her away via ambulance.

Sigh. What a day. A day to count my blessings.


1 comment:

  1. Love your new bloggy look!!

    OH.MY.GOSH. The life of having boys. Tate fell a couple of years ago and busted his head open on the fireplace....sounds like Alex's camper incident!

    And the lady at the restaurant....weird.

    ReplyDelete