Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Never Again!!!

Yesterday morning I took a trip to the OR to have an Ash catheter placed in my left chest. I wasn't anticipating what was about to happen. Basically, I felt like someone was putting a spike through my shoulder!!! I can't remember a time when I was in that much pain. Upon arriving back to the floor, they struggled to get me comfortable. After tylenol 3's, morphine and some benadryl, I spent the next few hours in a semi-conscious/sleep state. After a short nap, the pain returned with a vengeance! They gave me morphine, some more morphine and finally enough morphine to knock me out again. I started to feel relief by late last night. What a day!! I had to cancel all visitors, including the kids. I was in no way feeling up to chatting.
I drifted in and out of sleep the rest of the evening. By 1:30am they offered me some benadryl to help me sleep. I slept for a little while until I woke to the sound of my IV beeping (a usual night disturbance). While laying there I noted that I was having contraction after contraction. They put me on the monitor and sure enough I was contracting every 3-5 mins. They gave me a shot of terbutaline and they settled right down. I had a small amount of bleeding...I am assuming from all the contractions. Within 30 mins I was back to sleep and all went well for the rest of the night.
Today my pain has been MUCH more tolerable. I was able to resume some normal activities and have only taken a small amount of pain medication. The kids and Todd came up for a visit. Lily has her first (ever) t-ball practice tonight. She entered my room with her new pink helmet on and pink bat in hand. Very adorable! She is very excited. Todd is going to be coaching her team, therefore making Alex assistant coach:). They are going to try and film some of the practice tonight so I don't miss out:).
On an entirely different note....Tarrah called this morning and was at the hospital with my parents and Adam. My dad had woken through the night with abdominal pain. The pain persisted so he went to urgent care this morning. She called back about 30 mins ago and said that the CT scan shows a hole in my dad's bowel and he is heading to surgery. They expect the surgery to be about 3 hours. He will have a colostomy for 3 months. Then they will go back in and resect his bowel. I can just imagine how bad my dad is freaking out since any little change to him is life-altering. Hopefully, all will go well!! I wish they knew Jesus!!!
So, I'm gonna hang back and relax a bit. Caio for now:).



  1. Oh my gosh, Kelly. Rough stuff. Praying for you guys.

  2. sigh, is all I can say. I hope the contractions are gone today. only 3.5 weeks to go.